Food, figs and a measure of mercy

The image in the new blog theme is not my own, but it fits, don't you think, considering my maiden name was Newton, and certain friends used to call me Figgy?

"And there's rosemary, that's for remembrance..." My English lit days are peeping through, you'll have to forgive me.

The truth is, a food image is more fitting for this blog because I tend to think a lot more about food than questions of faith and reason these days.

A British breakfast of sorts
 There is a lot to that part of the Lord's prayer in which Jesus prays, "Give us this day, our daily bread." I'm sure he was speaking about bread in both a physical and spiritual sense, and even harking back to those days when manna came dew-kissed each morning. The Lord's provision in the desert.

I worry a lot about what to have for dinner. You're probably one of those super-organized people who makes a menu for the month. I know some people like that. Maybe I would worry less if I planned more. (If you get finished planning next month's menu and have time to let me know how it is working for you, I'd love to hear your method.)

But this is me at about four in the afternoon as I'm leaving the office: "Oh, dear. What am I going to cook for dinner?" I'm too subject to the whim, a craving, or a sale on rutabaga. I don't know why I said rutabaga because I've never bought it or tried making it! Maybe I will now, though. Maybe George Lang has a Hungarian recipe for that, I'll have to check...

Much as I LOVE cooking, and I do love the way the cooking process centers me, I can only muster thinking about dinner one day at a time, in much the same way I can only muster the courage to face one day at a time. The mercy comes in that measure, after all.


Comments

Popular Posts