Thursday, January 29, 2009

Impossible

It is impossible to concentrate. The classroom next door to the writing center office resounds with the rhythms of Michael Jackson's "Thriller." (It's the Ballroom Dancing class.) All I can think of is the ridiculous lip sync version we did of the song during freshman orientation. I'll spare you the details. But it seems somehow typical of my life. I expect to write something when I block all distractions. Yet when it is quiet, I can't concentrate for lack of stimulation. Is this a conspiracy to drive me mad? I rather suspect it is, but I don't know who to blame other than myself.

2 comments:

Laura said...

this is why I either have classical music on the radio (you can listen to what I do by streaming from www.theclassicalstation.org) or I stream Pandora - Gregorian chant or William Byrd or Palestrina.

Rebecca said...

Pandora is a lifesaver, isn't it? My favorite stations at the moment are J.S. Bach and Claude Debussy. Bliss!

Blessings!