Crazy About Curry

Curry. I haven't always liked the unusually complex blend of spices that now is now an essential seasoning in my kitchen. When I was a child, I remember my father making what he called a curry, and I didn't like it. A fonder memory of childhood involving curry was that my cousin Isaac called me "Curry" instead of "Cory."

More recently, our friends from Mumbai have shown us Indian-style hospitality, complete with curries of diverse sorts and chipati (flatbread).

Now, I love curry, and on some days, today for instance, I crave the spicy blend, which is, at the same time, both subtle and complex. Blend a magic potion from some of the most piquant spices in the world and transform humble vegetables and chicken into an otherworldly affair.

Here was tonight's colorful medley based on a recipe from Cooks.com:

GREEN BEAN CURRY

1 lb. green beans, sliced
3 carrots diced
1 med. onion, slivered
1 cup diced canned tomatoes with juice
2 tbsp. oil
2 cinnamon sticks, broken
2 tsp. curry powder
1 tsp. crushed ginger or 1/2 tsp. dry
2 cloves minced garlic
dash of cayenne pepper
1 tsp. salt
2 chicken breast filets, cubed, and sauted with a little curry powder

Heat oil in a pot; add cinnamon sticks and onions. Saute until golden brown. Add curry powder, ginger, garlic, cayenne, salt, tomatoes, green beans, carrots, and cooked chicken. Cook 5 minutes on high heat. Add at least 1/2 cup of water and simmer 1/2 hour on low heat. Serve with rice.

Delicious! And I why didn't I think to photograph it? Good question, considering my camera was sitting out on the counter the whole time I was cooking. You'll justed have to believe, make it, and taste and see for yourself!

Comments

gail said…
Curry was a hot lunch option at my elementary school in Japan. It resembled yellow pudding with veggies! Now I make a much tastier version which is the delight of my children.
Gail

Popular Posts