A Scholar's Prayer

Lord and Savior, true and kind,
be the master of my mind;
bless and guide and strengthen still
all my powers of thought and will.
While I ply the scholar's task,
Jesus Christ be near I ask;
help the memory, clear the brain,
knowledge still to seek and gain.
Here I train for life's swift race;
let me do it in thy grace;
here I arm me for life's fight;
let me do it in thy might.
Thou hast made me mind and soul;
I for thee would use the whole.
Thou hast died that I might live;
all my powers to thee I give.
Striving, thinking, learning still,
let me follow thus thy will;
till my whole glad nature be,
trained for duty and for thee.

~C.G. Moule, Anglican Bishop of Durham, 1901-1920.

Special thanks to Chris at Nihil Fit for the words to this poem/song, an excerpt of which I found in J.P. Moreland's Love Your God With All Your Mind: The Role of Reason in the Life of the Soul.

Comments

Lovely, Rebecca. Absolutely Lovely

Popular Posts