Thursday, September 25, 2008

Writing Life

Most stories emerge in community when people engage with each other. But for stories to be recorded, the teller must disengage from that community to write. I am comfortable in community and I delight in solitude, but finding a balance between the two can be a challenge. I get so caught up in living in community, I do not take time to reflect on life with my pen in hand.

Painting: Solitude by Lord Frederick Leighton, Maryhill Museum of Art

Let October be dedicated to the scale, to the attempt at balancing life and writing. I am going to write something everyday. Something is my commitment; it may not be my best. (Ali, you're my inspiration with your ignus fatuus.) I don't want to post inferior work, but maybe if I know I have to post something, I will at least keep writing, and in the process, make improvement.

A blog seems representative of the two sides of life and writing: the solitary and the communal. Here I write about my life, and you read, sometimes responding in your own voice, as your stories intersect with mine.

Let's write and see what happens.

1 comment:

Laura said...

What a lovely idea! I blog every day, except Sundays, and it seems to help me balance my other areas of life, since it works as a de-stressor for me.
Once, I resolved to write a poem a day for the month of April, and then another time, two pages a day for the month of December. It's very interesting to see what comes of it. I find that usually, it makes me work harder, but produce better quality in my writing.
I look forward to reading more!

-Laura