Perfect Evening

I wanted a perfect evening, and that's just what it was. Perfect. Although it didn't start that way. We craved an escape from routine: dinner in the college cafeteria and a hum-drum evening on campus. Mid-way through the week, we were all tired. I wanted all my friends to join me for the evening, but Rebekah had a soccer game, Erica was going to church, Jonathan had to work. Laura said she would come, but begged off because of a headache. In the end, it was Joshua, who had the evening off from work, Rachael, Andy, and I who gathered in the Professor's empty house.

Later, Elizabeth called, and Andy wondered if we'd mind her joining us. Of course not, we told him. She was one person I'd thought to invite, but because our paths hadn't crossed, I hadn't followed up on my intention.

Arriving, none of us was hungry. But just in case we regained our appetite, we had stopped off at the supermarket in Hollister to get the ingredients for teatime. Joshua brought his tea things: kettle, teapot, cups and saucers; I brought Yorkshire Gold tea.


Rachael enjoys a good cuppa.

Josh and Andy thought the living room needed a focal point, other than the bookcase in the corner. I suggested painting a mural behind the loveseat, but they thought the fireplace would be better, and I couldn't help agreeing with them. I am impressed with their attention to aesthetic detail.

Rachael made cucumber sandwiches, spreading herbed cream cheese on toast, then piling on sliced cucumbers.

I used my favorite recipe for scones. It's a basic sweet biscuit dough, to which may be added nuts or dried fruit, if desired. Leave out the sugar, and add shredded cheese and herbs for a delicious savory treat!

Sift together:
2 cups of flour
4 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder & 1/2 teaspoon salt

Grate in:
1/4 cup frozen real butter

When mixture resembles coarse crumbs, add:

3/4 cup milk

Stir until mixture forms a ball. Turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead 8-10 times. Pat out and cut in triangles or rounds. Bake at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes, or until lightly browned. Serve warm with butter, jam, and clotted cream.

Joshua's cheesy scrambled eggs with sauted scallions and peppers, and tomatoes for a garnish looked delicious! (They were!)

Our delicious repast!

When friends are also members of chorale, or simply love to sing, the likelihood of song breaking out among the group is great! We sang Doxology for Grace, then as we were washing up the dishes, we sang some more.

Comments

Popular Posts