"We cannot tell the precise moment when friendship is formed. As in filling a vessel drop by drop, there is at last a drop which makes it run over; so in a series of kindnesses there is at last one which makes the heart run over."
~James Boswell, Samuel Johnson's biographer

Tonight, Mom and I attended the Hicks' family Osage naming ceremony. We fell in love with the Hicks when we got our first tour of the house on Johnstone; we've since adopted them as grandparents. I can't begin to describe the delightful young lady with whom I visited during the meal. She is the Chelsea I've heard her grandmother rave about since we met the Hicks four years ago. I remember Chelsea, her mother, and grandmother stopped at a yard sale the year after we moved to Hawthorne House. She was a girl then. The young woman I met tonight is possessed of fine character; she is beautiful, charming and gracious; a respectful daughter; a lover of literature; a writer; in short, a kindred spirit. If her grandparents are mine too, that makes us adoptive cousins, and her esteemable parents my aunt and uncle! My heart overflows with the rich gifts of friendship I've received. We must meet for tea before Chelsea's family returns to Suffolk.

My room has taken on a wonderfully verdant hue called "hydrangea floret." It sounds like a name, but who would name their daughter Hydrangea? Green is an intellectual color. Isn't that why classrooms are painted green in all the little one-room schoolhouses? Maybe not; I've also heard green paint was the cheapest. It isn't cheapest now; the Wal-mart brand is $11.44/gal. But compared to other home improvements, a coat of paint is a cheap remedy. I hope to find a friend with a sewing machine and get my valance made before I head back to school.

Christmas dinner this year will be simple Mediterranean fare, with far fewer selections than last year. I pulled out all the stops for a traditional Greek meal since my brother and Mom's cousins were with us. It will be just Mom, Amy, and me this year.
  • Roasted Chicken with Lemon, Garlic and Potatoes
  • Greek Salad with Roasted Zucchini, Tomatoes and Feta
  • Fresh Baked Bread
  • Greek Honey Cake and Tea for dessert

Comments

Popular Posts