The holly and the ivy
When they were both full grown,
Of all the trees that are in the wood
The holly bears the crown.

It's easy now to get in the spirit of Christmas. Two inches of powdery snow dust the landscape; under it is ice that crunches beneath our feet. If I had a scarf and gloves, I'd go for a long ramble in the snow. My roommate went out sledding last night, but I preferred the warmth of indoors, a cup of tea, and a good movie. Laura and I watched Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, which I wasn't sure I would be able to appreciate. It showed surprising depth. Laura and I were delighted to see elements of Homer in it, i.e. human desire and how destructive it can be when not disciplined. Charlie's attitude toward his family is loving and respectful, while the other four children manipulate their parents to serve their own appetites. I liked how Willie Wonka worked through his issues with his father, and came to understand the importance of family. Great film!

Comments

Popular Posts