Laura and I modeled our costumes for Mr. Young in Exlporation of Theatre. The assignment was to create a costume for a partner from the theatre costumes, taking into consideration the personality of the character, the occasion, the location, the period, etc. I pulled pieces from my own costume barn. Laura appeared as a Regency gentleman's daughter, a.ka. Lizzy Bennet, in a green sprigged regency gown, with her hair in a simple chignon. I, taking the part of a mid-victorian governess, donned a rose and brown floral "prairie" style dress with a fitted button front bodice, lace collar, and gathered skirt. Under it, I wore a ivory gauze shift, but I only buttoned the bodice of the dress just below the bust so the chemise was visible at the throat. The chemise sleeves were also visible below the 3/4 length sleeves.

"Make sure the costumes get put back upstairs," Mr. Young admonished.

"They're mine," I said.

"Well, then, make sure we get them."

I stood there, peering over my wire-framed governess glasses with a quizzical expression on my face.

"I'm serious," he continued. "They're really good. Where did you get them?"

"I made them," I said.

"Really?"

"Yes, before I came to school, I did historical dressmaking for seven years," I informed him.

"You'll come work in the costume shop, won't you?"

"Yes, yes. Of course," I stammered.

"We have seven people graduating in the spring so I will need you next fall. Where do you work now?"

"In the cafeteria."

"So you will come see me about transferring to the theatre?"

"Yes, I'd like that very much," I said.

"Good. Good job."

That pretty much made my day!! When we toured the theatre a few weeks ago, we saw the costume shop, and I had the inclination then to ask Mr. Young if there would be any openings. I didn't, and it's probably better that he saw my work first. Yippee!

Comments

Anonymous said…
yay yay yay! so very fun! i loved working the costume shop so much for 4 years, it was constant good times. you will have a blast.

Popular Posts